It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:06 am
All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

1978 Chevy C10 Silverado - Frame Off

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]

Offline BruthaMan

In the staging lanes

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:49 pm   Post subject: 1978 Chevy C10 Silverado - Frame Off   

We got started Christmas day. I bought the truck for this project the first week in November. Up to this point, I've been figuring out where to move ALL the junk in the garage and ordering parts, buying tools, etc.

The garage was half filed with boxes and junk we've accumulated over the years. Was able to go through some and toss a lot. What we didn't toss, put in a spare bedroom in the house until the project is complete.

Blake (forum member) is helping out on the project for a few months which is a real blessing. This guy definitely knows what he's doing. Came over Christmas Day (on his on accord) to get started and got a lot done the first few hours.

Below are some pics of the truck, as I bought it in November. I bought it from Vintage Autohaus. Body is straight, but has some rust issues. Hoping to salvage the original sheet as much as possible and use patch panels where necessary. They said it was Roger Rutar's old truck. Didn't know him, but they told me about him.

Bought a lot of tools, shelving, an air compressor and parts over the past few months in preparation. The "Man Cave" is ready, for the most part. Need to buy a welder and some compressor plumbing as well as a sand blaster.

Christmas day, decided today was the day I was going to do something, finally. We drove the truck around back to the garage, and started on it with my oldest son. We got held up on the bumper, as one of the bolts to the frame was rusted and sure enough, of all the prep work I did to get to this point, I had no penetrating oil on Christmas day!

Blake called later in the day and said he was ready to help out and could come over today, so he was here shortly after and we continued on.

We got to that bolt again. I got on bottom to hold the wrench while he put his weight into it with a breaker bar on top. Suddenly "snap!" I thought, "man, we tried forever to bust it loose and he got it on the second try!" Nope, he didn't get it free, he snapped it in two! Funny moment! That was a thick bolt and it was surface rust. He broke the bolt completely in two!

Anyway, we worked till about 10pm and got the hood, front support, radiator, fenders and inner fenders off and the motor is close to ready to being pulled. We're documenting every bolt removed in zip locks, tagged with where they belonged. Will make reassembly much easier, but more importantly, I can go through them and match to order new ones that are needed.

Here are some pics of a few hours work on Christmas Day:

Here's a pic of the "Man Cave" with parts everywhere. We're going to have to do some organization to get the frame in, once sandblasted, to paint it and start reassembly.

Service Manuals. Already came in handy. We had a mystery bolt on the fenders and cracked them open. Original dealer service and parts manuals bought off Ebay.

Bought this motor from Scott Ingham in Canyon along with a 700r4 out of his project car. It's one bad 350. We're going to tear it down to see what's in it. Still debating on whether to build up a mild 383 (this is going to be a daily driver and not interested in racing it, just a little fun when I need it). Once we know what we have on the cam, and have pulled the original 350 out, will start making some power train decisions. I'm partial to keeping the original 350 if possible, and build a 383 out of it.

We'll post some more as progress moves along. Glad Blake is helping out on this. He sure isn't afraid to get in and work and definitely knows what he's doing!
Top Profile 

Offline cactusjack

Spooling

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:32 pm   Post subject: Re: 1978 Chevy C10 Silverado - Frame Off   

I had a 78 shortwide with a factory 454 and a 3:73 posi ! It was one of my favorite trucks ! Wish I still had It !!!!!!!!! Good Luck
Top Profile 

Offline pimpdpscar

Pullin the chutes...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:25 am   Post subject: Re: 1978 Chevy C10 Silverado - Frame Off   

Ha that bolt on the inner fender was a bitch to find man, thanks for the kind words. This will be amazing when we are done.

Offline BruthaMan

In the staging lanes

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:10 am   Post subject: Re: 1978 Chevy C10 Silverado - Frame Off   

pimpdpscar wrote:
Ha that bolt on the inner fender was a bitch to find man, thanks for the kind words. This will be amazing when we are done.

Yeah, really glad you are helping out on this. Can't believe how fast things are moving!

Here's so more progress pics.

Motor and tranny ready to pull. Lots of connections, wires and lines to undo on this old stocker:

She's sliding out with a little tweaking:

My grandson, standing next to "Paw Paw's motor!" He just turned two. He spends 2-3 days a week with me every week and loves this truck and being out in the garage with "Paw Paw's parts" and "tools" :

Motor and tranny out:

Blake gutted the interior today. We knew the floor pans would need to be replaced, so it was no surprise when the carpet was pulled. I expected more areas to be rusted, but looks like just both front floor pans will need to be replaced.

Top Profile 

Offline pimpdpscar

Pullin the chutes...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:45 am   Post subject: Re: 1978 Chevy C10 Silverado - Frame Off   

ha i think i need a tetnis shot.

Offline BruthaMan

In the staging lanes

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:20 pm   Post subject: Re: 1978 Chevy C10 Silverado - Frame Off   

Been a while since I've updated this.

Got the drivers side floor pans and rocker panel in:

Just about finished cutting out the passenger's side.

Both doors are off:

Picked up some NOS doors on Ebay. Been looking for some for months now and most go for big money. Snagged a set pretty reasonably and ordered one-piece windows for them as well.

Saturday, we got the bed ready for removal. Eight bed bolts were rusted out so bad, they were not going to come off. A neighbor stopped by and suggested welding some bolts to the top of the bed bolts (tops are smooth inside the bed) and managed to get them off.

Motor is being built by Zac at Green's Machine. 383 Stroker. Should be ready in another week, though it will be a while before it goes in.

I'm looking for some help on this project. It's been going real slow lately. If you are mechanically inclined, dependable and looking for some extra hours to make ends meet, send me a PM and let me know your background.
Top Profile 

Offline Old School 55

Launching

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:49 pm   Post subject: Re: 1978 Chevy C10 Silverado - Frame Off   

You're doing good work on the truck. I did something similar a couple years, it just takes time, but eventually you will get there. Sounds like you are even taking the right aproach of making sure you know where everything goes, so it will be easier to put back together. Sounds simple, but I'm not sure how many times I've skipped that step and can't remeber how it goes back together.

Here are some ics of my daily driver.

Here it is at Hooters this summer - oddly enough I have a ton of "in rogress" pictures and very few of it actually done.
Top Profile 
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]